Getting intimate… With your priorities
Few people think of poor energy management as a failure to realize how great you are.
I say energy management because I think managing time is boring, tbpppppp(perfectly)h. And, it only scratches the surface of your performance possibilities.
Focusing attention and effort is the real deal (and includes pivoting on a dime when you need or want).
Getting intimate with priorities means:
- Clarity on your success standards (and your why). I’ve said this too many times to count… It’s KEY.
- The “why” is embodied… Envisioning their realization creates high energy and/or strong positive feelings. It took me years before my goals/KPIs and more intuitive/heartfelt visions were integrated — and DAMN, the drive, rewards, possibilities. It can start as intuition, interest, curiosity. Keep stoking the fire and it becomes passion.
- Tangible or measurable markers of above standards. Short-term (3–12 months) is sufficient. They may be shorter term or more flexible if you’re in discovery/exploration stage. Learn and stay in action.
- Creating systems and support structures that make it as easy as possible to succeed. Use resources efficiently. And get better results than you meant to ;)
- Steadfast belief in their importance. It’s easy to drift and diverge when distressed or distracted. Your priorities reflect what you value. You are not your work or success in life, and your work (good work, done well, for the right reasons) is a critical form of self-expression. Devaluing priorities, and deprioritizing success as only you can define it, is devaluing yourself.
The final point is what it often boils down to. Lack of focus and accountability and making things more difficult than they need be are forms of self sabotage. (So is forcing yourself to perform on low resources as a badge of strength, worthiness or honor)
Realizing how great you are means honoring yourself completely, including the part of you that wants a rich life, and big impact.
Only you can know what’s important to you, and why it matters. Getting intimate with priorities means honoring them, just as you would any important relationship.
Your relationship with your priorities reflects your relationship with yourself. It expresses who you’re being, and who you know yourself to be.
You’re a VIP, with incredible things to do in this life and world.
Give your priorities lots of love on the regular.
You + they will be better off for it.
Want more work tips and inspiration? Subscribe to my weekly newsletter at caseyonder.com.